Elm Grove is significant as the only remaining working property within Gungahlin. It has maintained its traditional functions of fine wool and hay production in a rural lifestyle that has continued since the Gillespie family first occupied the area in the 1840’s. It is one of the ACT’s only surviving sheep properties that has been owned by two families in 160 years.
This fine merino wool property was established by James Gillespie next to his parents 1852 property “Horse Park” when he and his wife Isabella built a timber cottage on Portion 186 Parish of Goorooyarroo in 1882. James lived on Elm Grove until he died in 1926 and Isabella until her death in 1938. Harold Gillespie (1890- 1974), their son, worked the property until his death in 1974.
In 1986 Mr and Mrs Carmody purchased the lease from the Gillespie family and expanded the acreage with the purchase of the neighbouring Oak Hill property in 1997. Elm Grove has since been placed on the ACT Heritage Register in 2008.